I haven’t written for awhile because I frankly haven’t known
how to write what I feel. I can honestly say that these past couple of weeks
have been hard for me because of homesickness, but it’s been a different kind
of homesickness than what I felt when I first came here. My first week in Ghana was really rough. My homesickness was
potent hatred and resentment of being away from home. I couldn’t come to terms
with the fact that I would be here for three months. That quickly died,
although lately my homesickness feelings have been more of an underlying
longing, and this feeling of defeat in finding something familiar. That’s the
funny thing about homesickness. I don’t have to be missing something specific.
It’s just this weird settling into your environment and realizing that you’re
not going to get that cold glass of milk or brownie you crave, and the only
things reminding you of home is your clothing that says BYU on it and the
expired box of Chips Ahoy that you bought in the market. Listening to music
sometimes makes me nostalgic, but there is this separation of what the music
meant to me before and what it develops for me now. It’s hard to explain, homesickness.
I feel like homesickness was some sort of raging demon inside me when I came to
Ghana, roaring and lashing out in fear at every experience I had. It was alarming
trying to adapt to a new country, and in some ways, it felt like defeat in
order to adapt. My homesickness was "tangled too tight and too long to fight."
But now I see that adapting wasn’t defeat at all. Adapting has not only
brought me peace of mind, but it has become a source of joy and confidence. All
I want is to have new experiences to adapt to, because now I thrive off of
adapting. It’s only been two months that I’ve been here, but I feel so much
love for myself and for the people I meet. I love how everyone is so welcoming
and loving to me. I love how people will come greet me, putting their arm
around me, kissing my cheek, teaching me phrases in Fante. I feel loved when
villagers I’ve met only a handful of times will affectionately brush my hair
out of my face when it’s windy or rainy. I love when people teach me new Fante,
because it gives me a sense of bonding with them. I love having new Fante
phrases turning in my head and tongue until I have the opportunity to use it.
Sometimes I have forgotten how it is said, and in my eagerness to speak it, I
trip over the phrase and butcher it past recognition. I get laughs most of the
time in response. Sometimes I feel embarrassed, but more often than not, I glow
under the light-hearted laughter. People love that I am trying to learn, and
they love teaching me. Because of this, I always try to at least greet people
in Fante, and if I don’t understand, I say “Mentasse” and then “Me pa wƆ kyew sido” (please repeat). People like that
I at least try, and when I dive for my pen and paper to furiously scribble the
phrase before I forget it, they guide me with the spelling. Lately when people
call me Obruni on the street, I’ve been responding “WofrƐm Obruni” (my name is not Obruni). I get good
laughs in return and good ice breakers for conversation. It also lets me have
my sass incorporated into Fante, so that’s a bonus….but it’s the little things
like these that make all the difference for me. It lets me feel a sort of
kinship, despite our different colors and cultures.
I remember seeing a huge group of missionaries on the plane I took from
JFK to Accra. I sometimes see missionaries buying food in the market, and some
sister missionaries even chatted with me on the street a while ago. I remember
I once felt sadness for those missionaries, wondering how on earth they could
cope with the idea of staying here for two years and I felt secretly grateful
that I only had to endure three months. But now….I envy them. Three months is
hardly any time at all. It isn’t nearly enough time for me to learn as much
Fante as I want. Three months is hardly any time to develop solid
relationships, so the people I have met and grown to love will see me go and
will forget about me in time. My work with the schools, the children, with
HEPENS, and with the villages will be left in a few scribbled notes and excel
documents that incoming interns may not even look at. My wonderful coworkers and friends, Jonah, John,
Nicholas and Eva…how I will miss them and their friendship. How I love to make
them laugh. How I will ache to be just another Obruni intern that comes and
goes, like the rest of them before me. Eva will perhaps be getting married next
year, and I regret so much that I will not see her on her wedding day, that I
will not be there to dance the traditional dances rejoicing her union with her
husband. It makes me feel immense gratitude for the most perfect and beautiful
opportunity of coming here, and it makes me feel deep hurt for the reality of
my ever coming back
My auntie and I were standing outside tonight after work, watching
storm clouds roll in. We do that often, just standing outside watching the world
pass by. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we just enjoy each other’s company.
Tonight while we were outside, a little boy near our house dropped his sack of
tomatoes. I got tomato juice all over my hands when I went to help him pick
them up. When I turned back to the house to go wash my hands, I was surprised
to see my auntie with a bucket of water she had prepared for me while my back
was turned. She ran the water over my hands as I told her, “WƆ ye mu yie” (You are very kind). She laughed
and said “medasse” (thank you), and then said something else in Fante while
handing me a towel to dry my hands. I didn’t think twice on it, but she all of
a sudden burst out laughing, and I had to inquire. She said,
“I talked to you
like you were Ghanaian, I said Fante words to you thinking you understand.”
I laughed and said, “Auntie,
you forgot I was Obruni!”
We shared a good laugh at that.
I felt so much love for her then. Deep down, I also felt a little twinge of sadness,
wishing I could be a real person she could converse with instead of in our
casual conversations in broken English.
But perhaps knowing that my time here is short is what’s making this
such an amazing experience for me. I have learned to love all that I experience,
because I know I won’t have the chance to decide if I love it or hate it later.
The tro-tro rides where I think I’m meeting my death, the battles with my germiphobia,
the awkward moments when I stare blankly at someone speaking Fante to me, the
taxi drivers trying to cheat me, the smell of sewage running in open drains
outside my work, the constant stream of sweat dripping down my face and back, the
hundreds of bugs biting my butt when I go to the bathroom, the unreliable
electricity, the hot sun prompting cancer growth on my skin….I love it all. I love
it I love it I love it I love it I love it. And I will miss it when I'm gone.
Beautiful post Mary.
ReplyDelete