Saturday, November 9, 2013

We Crave a Different Kind of Buzz

It’s always the slowest days that are the hardest. All the other interns traveled to the Volta Region this weekend, and I stayed behind to do laundry and work. Usually I like my free time, but the days are always too long. I am always up at least by 5:30 or 6:00, and my day doesn’t get started until at least noon. I tried to make my laundry last a long time, but I rubbed my fingers raw and had to finish up the last of my laundry quickly to avoid the horrible stinging of soap on open skin.

I’m also pretty sure I have a parasite by now. At least, I like to think that I do. Sometimes it makes the world seem more humorous, that there are disgusting little creatures that have learned to thrive off living in a larger organism. Pretty gross….but pretty fascinating, you know?

This past Tuesday I was supposed to wake up early and travel to Kwamoano to teach about nutrition. I woke up in the middle of the night with my abdominal muscles cramping so hard, I couldn’t tell if I needed to puke or go to the bathroom. My nausea made me almost delirious with pain. I remember texting my proworld coordinator, Sarah, asking her if she could take me to the clinic in the morning even though I hadn’t waited the recommended 24 hours to see if it would pass. I thought I had texted her at almost 6 in the morning, but it turns out it was around midnight, and I writhed in pain for hours.
I must have dozed off enough to sleep, because I woke up with the sun shining and my mouth watering from the onslaught of nausea. I remember stumbling to the clinic with Sarah and my coworker John, where they admitted me and the doctor said, “You don’t look sick”. I think I just stared at his mustache. I don’t remember what I said.
He had me lie on his examining table, and I remember I started crying when he started poking my stomach. It hurt pretty badly, and he said it was really tight in my lower bowels. He would have taken a stool sample (which dad very much wanted), but I hadn’t brought enough money with me and he didn’t want to keep me at the clinic for too long. So he decided I probably have been eating contaminated food and he would put me on an IV drip with Ciprofloxacin, a common antibiotic for bowel inflammation. I was already feeling a lot better with the IV drip, but when the nurse put in the Cipro, my arm started burning all the way up from the needle to my neck. I remember itching and scratching at my shoulder, and the doctor came in to tell the nurse to take me off it completely. I was having an allergic reaction to the Cipro, and dad was on the phone (at 3:00 AM Utah time) alarmed at why I was hooked up to an IV without further tests. So to make a long story short, the doctor prescribed me an oral antibiotic and sent me home. My sweet auntie saw me on my way back, gave me a hug, and a Ghanaian energy drink that’s the equivalent of Gatorade. So I did nothing all day but lay in my bed, thinking about those parasitic bugs that eat off a fish’s tongue and attaches itself to the stump.

Sarah took a picture of me before I left the clinic. I think I was laughing because I was a little giddy from the Cipro freaking me out. I was also probably trying to laugh off the thought about whether I had enough Cipro in my system to kill me...


It’s hard to imagine that I’m counting down at this point. I will miss Ghana and my friends here so much, but time is no respecter of persons. The world will continue to move and the sun will rise and set whether I like it or not. Each day lasts forever, and then it doesn’t last long enough. Before I know it, I will be on that plane ride home to Utah. How do I know who I will be when I go home? Am I supposed to know? I hope I am courageous and loving. I hope I am smart and make good decisions. I hope I make and maintain good relationships, and do my best to heal those relationships that are hurt. I hope I can be a better person when I come home.


No comments:

Post a Comment