Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pilot


Hello to all my sweet loved ones at home! It is day 6 here in Cape Coast, Ghana, and I FINALLY have pictures to show! It takes a long time to upload here, so I don't have as much as I'd like. Here are the pictures of my adventure so far in Ghana with Proworld.


This was my shared room with Jenna (left) and Laura Kate (right) in Accra at the Travella Lodge. I didn't know hot weather until I woke up in the middle of the night soaked in my own sweat. The humidity is almost unbearable here.

This is the court-yard of the Travella Lodge, with Laura Kate fetching a chair. Laura Kate is another intern with Jenna and I, but she is doing a different program revolving around social work through ProWorld. I also took this picture to show how they weigh down the branches of the trees to help them grow out instead of up to better ensure shading in the hotter months.



I was trying to sneak a picture of Kofi, our guide, as he was walking through the front gates.


Kofi leading us through the city to where we would get out dinner. This was an uncomfortable part of the trip, as we were all still jet-lagged and is was nerve-wracking drawing so much attention but not knowing how to speak to anyone.


This was my first Ghana meal, yam fries with salad and chicken. The chicken was good and the yams were very dry. Little did I know that yams were going to be a major staple in my diet and I would be working hard to develop a taste for them.

This was our first breakfast in Ghana. Eggs, tomatoes, and "sausage". I believe they are limited in what they can serve us since they have guidelines to not give us meat that could be potentially raw, so I think that's why the sausage is actually a processed, pre-cooked hot dog.

A view of our walk through Accra and the markets along the street.

This picture is for Jon. :D


Jenna, Laura Kate, and I went to go get bottled water, and was our first experience paying with Ghana Cedis! Amina had flown in that night, so she came with us, as well.


Trash littered everywhere is common here. The most common smells are sewage, camp smoke, and diesel fuel as diesel is cheapest here.


I was so happy to have my water!


These are the sewage drains, or "Obruni Traps". There's lots of rot and sludge in these, I don't think they really carry anything away very well. A few paces down from here there was a rat rotting in it.




This was on the tro-tro to Cape Coast after Max and Lexie arrived in Accra. Our team was assembled, now it was time to go.





3 comments:

  1. Mary! Everything there looks so interesting! I'm glad you're safe and having new experiences. I think about you often. I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I loved reading this. I miss you! Post some more pictures of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Moh! Love that this post is called Pilot. Good luck with the food :)

    ReplyDelete